The National Business Group on Health revealed Wednesday its picks of the nation's best employers that promote healthier lifestyles and provide a healthy workplace.
Sixty-six companies were honored with platinum and gold distinctions. The recipients, including 15 first-time winners, were presented with "2012 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles" awards at the Business Group's Institute on Innovation in Workforce Well-being Leadership Summit held in Washington, D.C.
"With health care benefit costs continuing to rise at unacceptable levels, more and more employers are focusing on health improvement programs at the workplace – and with good reason. One of the keys to controlling costs is to keep employees and their families healthy. All of the employers we are recognizing this year are fully committed to offering innovative workplace programs that encourage employees and their families to take control of their health and live healthier lifestyles," said NBGH CEO Helen Darling.
According to a press release, the awards program is in its eighth year. The Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles awards annually acknowledge those employers that have responded to the urgent need to improve their employees' health, productivity and quality of life. The underlying goal of the program is to encourage all employers to take action.
Winners of the 2012 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles awards were honored in one of two categories: Platinum, for established workplace well-being programs with measurable success and documented outcomes; and Gold, for making cultural and environmental changes and developing comprehensive programs that support employees' healthy lifestyle goals.
The National Business Group on Health also presented inaugural awards to companies in four special areas. These include:
- Best stress management intervention: Aetna
- Best communication tactics: American Express
- Best family engagement: Baptist Health South Florida
- Best community outreach: Kimberly-Clark Corporation
The winners in each category are:
- Baptist Health South Florida
- Campbell Soup Company
- Cardinal Health
- Carolinas HealthCare System*
- Cerner Corporation
- CVS Caremark
- Dell Inc.
- Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System*
- General Board of Pension and Health Benefits of the United Methodist Church*
- Healthways, Inc.
- H.J. Heinz Company
- JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Kaiser Permanente
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California Region
- Mayo Clinic
- Michelin North America, Inc.
- NextEra Energy Inc.
- Quest Diagnostics
- Texas Instruments
- The Boeing Company
- UnitedHealth Group
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center/UPMC Health Plan
- Visant Corporation
- WellPoint, Inc.
- Accenture, LLC
- American Airlines*
- American Express
- Assurant, Inc.*
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- BP America Inc.*
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation*
- Chrysler Group LLC
- Compass Group
- DTE Energy*
- Erie Insurance
- Geisinger Health System*
- General Dynamics Electric Boat
- General Mills
- Georgia Power/Southern Company
- Hewlett-Packard Company **
- Ingersoll Rand Company*
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation* **
- McKesson Corporation*
- Medical Mutual and its Family of Companies
- Mercy Health Paychex, Inc.
- Pitney Bowes Inc.
- PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.*
- Providence Health & Services Alaska*
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
- Texas Health Resources
- The Home Depot
- Union Pacific Railroad
- Verizon Communications
* Denotes first time winner
** Denotes global distinction