Unemployment benefits collected in 2011 will be taxable.

Bet that wasn't the news you wanted to hear today if you're combing the job sites. But here's some consolation. If you spent either all or part of the year actively looking for a job, there are some ways to skirt the tax pinch.

One is by checking to see if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit. If you earned a low income—whether you worked for someone or you employed yourself—in 2011, you may qualify for a tax break. There are other special qualifying rules, but this credit is especially helpful for individuals and families that may have worked part of the year during 2011.

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to BenefitsPRO, part of your ALM digital membership.

  • Critical BenefitsPRO information including cutting edge post-reform success strategies, access to educational webcasts and videos, resources from industry leaders, and informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM, BenefitsPRO magazine and BenefitsPRO.com events
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.