The financial condition of the lower, middle and upper middle class has slipped lately as evidenced by climbing home foreclosure rates. In reality there has been a negative trend for decades: The average savings rate continues its decline, reaching a new low – the worst since the Great Depression in 1933, and household debt has been growing steadily and is up 80 percent compared to 1990 (inflation adjusted).

Will the fee-only financial planning industry come to the rescue? Don't hold your breath; they continue to pursue only the top 5 percent wealthiest people, leaving the other 95 percent underserved. In fact, less than 3 percent of 108 million middle- and upper-income households are served by accredited financial planners, according to the May edition of The Journal of Financial Planning. They concluded that people who really need financial counsel can't afford the services of financial planners.

The workplace is where most people receive the greatest percentage of their financial services, so you could say that employee benefits consultants are America's de facto financial planners. Consider that the workplace is where most people have their greatest amount of insurance protection: life, disability and health. Secondly, it is where people have the largest source of their retirement funding. Health savings accounts and Section 125 plans provide a whole host of other benefits.

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to BenefitsPRO, part of your ALM digital membership.

  • Critical BenefitsPRO information including cutting edge post-reform success strategies, access to educational webcasts and videos, resources from industry leaders, and informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM, BenefitsPRO magazine and events
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.