Looking to make a major career move? Check out the top 10 communities for well-being, along with their scores in each of the five major criteria.
10. San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles-Arroyo Grande, California. This community was scored at 64.6 overall for well-being, sharing that overall score with its three closest competitors, with a purpose rank of 50, a social rank of 66, a financial rank of 42—all three in the second quintile of scores—and two first-quintile scores: a community rank of 3 and a physical rank of 10.
9. Prescott, Arizona. With its overall well-being score of 64.6—the second of the four communities to achieve that number—Prescott outdistanced its next-lowest competitor by coming up with all-first-quintile scores for purpose (17), social (9), financial (7), community (4) and physical (20).
8. Santa Rosa, California. Santa Rosa’s overall well-being score also came in at 64.6. In individual categories, it, like San Luis Obispo, had three second-quintile scores—for purpose (63), social (53) and financial (59), while its first-quintile scores were for community (7) and physical (4).
Florida's North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton regional area comes in 7th on the list. (Photo: Shutterstock)
6. Lynchburg, Virginia. The needle moved on Lynchburg’s overall well-being score, to 64.9. In individual categories, it too managed all first-quintile rankings, with purpose at 3, social at 4, financial at 28, community at 8 and physical at 24.
5. Charlottesville, Virginia. Another tick higher on overall well-being, Charlottesville scored 65. Its individual scores include one second-quintile ranking of 52 for purpose, with the rest placing comfortably in the first quintile: social at 15, financial at 5, community at 14 and physical at 7.
4. Santa Cruz-Watsonville, California. Another notch higher, Santa Cruz-Watsonville garnered an overall well-being score of 65.1. Another community with all first-quintile scores, it ranked 7 for purpose, 16 for social, 23 for financial, 10 for community and 3 for physical.
3. Boulder, Colorado. Boulder’s overall score for well-being is 65.3. Surprisingly, it has two scores in the second quintile for individual categories: while purpose is a first-quintile 36, both social and financial are second-quintile scores, at 51 and 44 respectively. But then it’s back to the first quintile, with community scoring at 9 and physical scoring at 1.
2. Barnstable Town, Maine. Barnstable’s overall well-being score is 66.4, and its all-first-quintile individual scores came in as follows: 10 for purpose, 2 for social, 2 for financial, 1 for community and 5 for physical.
1. Naples-Immokalee-Marco Island, Florida. The top finisher in the index, Naples’ overall well-being score is 67.6. And its individual first-quintile scores are impressive: 1 for purpose, social, and financial, and 2 for community and physical.
If you’re considering relocating, whether for a job or for retirement, you might want to consult the Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index before you settle on a new home.