fees spelled out in mans hand (Photo: Shutterstock)

Investment-related fees paid by 401(k) plan participants continued to decline in 2022, a trend that will benefit balances in the long run, according to the 23rd edition of 401k Averages Book.

According to the study, investment costs declined between 0.02% and 0.05% over the previous year, with an average decrease of 0.03%. The report also found fees for small retirement plans – or those with 50 or fewer participants and less than $5 million in assets – declined from 1.12% to 1.09%. Since 2018 small plan total plan costs have dropped 0.08% from 1.17%.

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to BenefitsPRO.com, part of your ALM digital membership.

Your access to unlimited BenefitsPRO.com content isn’t changing.
Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Critical BenefitsPRO.com information including cutting edge post-reform success strategies, access to educational webcasts and videos, resources from industry leaders, and informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM, BenefitsPRO magazine and BenefitsPRO.com events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com

Already have an account?


Join BenefitsPRO

Don’t miss crucial news and insights you need to navigate the shifting employee benefits industry. Join BenefitsPRO.com now!

  • Unlimited access to BenefitsPRO.com - your roadmap to thriving in a disrupted environment
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com
  • Exclusive discounts on BenefitsPRO.com and ALM events.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join BenefitsPRO

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.