Judy Diamond Associates, the 401(k) plan intelligence provider affiliated with BenefitsPro.com, has released an analysis of the distribution of plan assets nationwide, revealing that the top 1 percent of plans hold 71.1 percent of all 401(k) assets.

There were about 500,000 active 401(k) plans in the fourth quarater of last year, with a collective $3.5 trillion in total assets. Nearly three-quarters, or $2.54 trillion, was controlled by the top 1 percent (5,000 companies). In contrast, the other 99 percent (495,000 companies) of all 401(k) plans nationwide control only 29 percent of the total assets

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to BenefitsPRO.com, part of your ALM digital membership.

Your access to unlimited BenefitsPRO.com content isn’t changing.
Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Critical BenefitsPRO.com information including cutting edge post-reform success strategies, access to educational webcasts and videos, resources from industry leaders, and informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM, BenefitsPRO magazine and BenefitsPRO.com events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com

Already have an account?



Join BenefitsPRO

Don’t miss crucial news and insights you need to navigate the shifting employee benefits industry. Join BenefitsPRO.com now!

  • Unlimited access to BenefitsPRO.com - your roadmap to thriving in a disrupted environment
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com
  • Exclusive discounts on BenefitsPRO.com and ALM events.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join BenefitsPRO

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.