[gallery size="full" ids="66009,66008,66010,66011"]

While the majority of people who ask for a raise get at least something of a pay increase, that's not always the case—particularly if you're a person of color.

PayScale, Inc.'s "Raise Anatomy" research indicates that while 70 percent of those who ask for a raise actually do get something, though perhaps not as much as they aimed for, the other 30 percent aren't as fortunate. In fact, according to Lydia Frank, vice president at PayScale, "We believe most employers want a diverse workforce and fair pay for all employees, but our research shows that employees who ask for a raise may be getting different responses based on their race."

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to BenefitsPRO, part of your ALM digital membership.

  • Critical BenefitsPRO information including cutting edge post-reform success strategies, access to educational webcasts and videos, resources from industry leaders, and informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM, BenefitsPRO magazine and BenefitsPRO.com events
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com
NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

Marlene Satter

Marlene Y. Satter has worked in and written about the financial industry for decades.